Thursday, March 31, 2011

Francis Harold Potter, 1921-2009

When I asked my grandmother to tell me about how she named my Dad, she giggled. She liked Frank, she said, but it sounded so hard for such a little baby. So they settled on Francis. So what about the Harold, I asked? She really giggled then and said it was for an old boyfriend and Mel (her husband) never knew.  Whether that story is true or not, it does make for a good family story. Dad came from a depression-poor background and when I was a year old he jumped at the opportunity to join the Army Air Corps and get an education and learn to fly. He had a 30 year career in the Air Force retiring in 1969 as a Colonel. He wrote up many of his Air Force memories and stories and they were published in The Air Force Magazine publication of the Wright-Patterson AFB Historical Museum. What really fun thing do I remember about my dad? That he loved to change rocks into candy with his magical incantation before little childrens' queezed-tight eyes. He's been gone two years; I still miss him.


I invite you to write up the stories of your Potter father or grandfather or ancestor and post them as a comment for sharing with other Potter researchers. Doesn't this seem like a good idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment