Monday, March 31, 2014
Notes on Daniel Potter, wife Lydia Hale, early 1800s in New York, Part 6
Back in Potter Profiles, Vol. 11, March 1987, Virginia Zadorozny (who lived in Palmyra, NY) sent this material as it pertained to her line. She added this note that came with the material: "This chapter on the Potters was written by Clayton Buell Potter, grandson of Daniel Potter and Lydia Hale. It is included in a handwritten book compiled in 1909 by Edward Augustus Parks, the stepson of Clayton's sister, Cassandana Potter Parks.
"I remember some of the sentiments of war times. Edgar was at the front and in the Army of the Potomac and like most of the soldiers at the time in that department was under the personal magnetism of General George B. McClellan. Mother took issue. She did not believe in the loyalty or the honesty of "Little Mac." Edgar did, for a time, and would wind up his letter with "Hurrah for Little Mac!" Mother would not hurrah for him until he did something to hurrah for and she would rather have the soldiers have some chance in the game for coming out alive instead of being held in that dismal swamp to die of malaria faster than they could have been shot by the rebels. She believed that Gen. McClelland was so much in sympathy with the South that he was nearly if not quite a traitor. And Edgar, after the long weary months of promises of Mc. to move and fight , and after Lincoln had pleaded month after month and Mc. continued to remain inactive, finally acknowledged that Mother was right and he wrote to that effect."
A summary of this family as gleaned from the above is:
Daniel Potter married Lydia Hale and they had Allen, Clarissa, David, William, Daniel, Joseph, Hannah, Silas and Achsah.
Joseph Potter (who d. 8 Apr 1882) married Mary Eunice Wylie (who d. 4 Dec 1883). They had:
1. Cassandana Louise on 22 Deb 1838, m. Samuel Orlando Parks
2. Edgar Wylie on 25 Mary 1840; d. 30 May 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
3. Stanley Noble on 21 Jul 1842; m. Laura Cheney and had: E. Clifford, Mable, Mildred, Theo,
Gilman and an unnamed infant.
4. Irving Delmont, b/d/ ca 1845
5. unnamed son, b/d ca 1846
6. Ellen Lavancha on 30 Jun 1850; m. Lewis King; she d. 7 Oct 1903
7. Lydia Arnot Augusta on 30 Jun 1850; m. Lorentus S. Edson; had: Lena (m. Ira Marble) and Edgar
8. Clayton Buell on 9 Sep 1852; m. 12 Oct 1876 to Jane Whetmuth; had: Mary Walker, Ada
Whetmuth, Frederick Clayton, Alice Louise, Ethel Wylie and Edgar Lamont
9. Lorenzo Warderell on 10 Apr 1855; d. 1856.
10. Argus Lamont on 22 Sep 1857; m. Clare Wright; had: Earl Lamont; Argus d. 5 Aug 1883.